Sunday, December 26, 2010

An Original Country Store

I spent most of my years growing up in a little country store. My parents bought the store when I was 8 years old. The store is now eighty two - Yes, 82 years old. My parents have owned and operated it for 42 years. When I say original, I really mean ORIGINAL. There's no running water, no restrooms, no electric or gas heat and no air conditioning. You "warm up" next to the old coal stove and you “cool down” next to the window fans. When I was little I used to hop upon the freezer so I could reach the window fan. I would sing my heart out into that fan! Singing into a fan makes you sound like you can actually sing. It also puts an extra "vibe" in your voice. If you've never sang into a fan - Try it! That is so cool!
Now to get warm, or hot, all we had to do was stand next to the coal stove. That's the "warmest" heat in the world. You just have to be very, very careful if you back up next to it. I've watched many people " back up" next to that stove and burn a hole in their coats. They burnt other places on their bodies as well. Yes, I've burnt my coat and my "bottom" too! Even now, driving by the store on a cold day , you will see the smoke making it's way out of the chimney and dancing into the sky. The smoke doesn't smell so good but it's a sight to see the shapes it makes as it's coming out. With a little imagination, you can see animals in that dancing smoke, just like you can with clouds. There's not many of those old coal stoves in use anymore. I'm guessing our little store will always have one.
My sister and I were thrilled when we finally reached the age when my parents thought we were old enough to really "work" in the store. Something to do besides just eat junk all day. We had all the pop and candy any kid would ever want. We had that everyday! Back then, we had two gas pumps in front of the store. Regular and High Test. High test is premium, or unleaded gas. I loved "pumping gas." Well, several years I loved it. Customers would pull up in front of the store and toot their horn. If we didn't make it out to their car quickly enough to please them, they would "lay on their horn." I'd run quickly then! "Regular or High Test?" I'd ask. Sometimes I'd "go over" the amount they would ask for. My dad would never let me charge them if I accidentally went over the amount they wanted. I got the hang of it pretty quickly though. I never "went over" more than fifty times or so. I definitely never went under! Dad would have never allowed that! I'm sure the customers wouldn't have either. When I was a little older, I didn't like pumping gas so much anymore. Especially when customers would "lay on their horn." I'm sure I used some colorful language then!
In our area we have a tradition known as “Court Days.” This tradition began many years ago when farmers would bring their goods to town on the first day of the court session, to sell and trade their items. People would come to trade dogs and knives one weekend a year. Over time, the gun and dog trading found it‘s way to Preston. Now, thousands of people attend each October. You can find anything from antiques, new purses, shoes, clothing, funnel cakes, live chickens, rabbits, guns, knives and yes, dogs! Or even a bologna sandwich. This sandwich comes from our store. It’s cut fresh using the old “meat slicer.” I wasn’t allowed to operate the “meat slicer” until I turned 16. I love slicing that bologna, or “Preston Steak” is what we call it. This past court day I cut my finger on that meat slicer for the very first time. Thirty three years of slicing meat and only one cut. That's pretty dang good! The “little store” is packed like a can of sardines during court days. I used to love working in the store during this event. Not so much anymore. My daughter has taken my place now. She loves it. Well, I do help out until she gets here. She don’t live here anymore. That’s probably why she still enjoys it! I do, however, enjoy catching up with old friends that have been coming to court days for many years.
We’ve had a few famous and not so famous people visit the store over the past 42 years. They come to see the one “ORIGINAL” store that is left in the United States. They love watching the “whittlers,” warming up next to the coal stove and watching smokers pitch their cigarettes into the floor and stomping them out. The “butts” stay on the floor until “sweeping time.” Roni Stoneman, from the show Hee Haw, got married in our little store a few years ago. There were thousands of people in attendance. My daughter was 6 years old at that time and she got to be the flower girl. That was a fun weekend. Several famous governors, doctors, comedians, authors and “infamous” politicians have visited our store. One person I’ll never forget is our own “Plum Lick” author, David Dick. He was a hoot! I have most of his books. I enjoyed meeting his wife, Lalie and his son, Sam Dick as well. David and Lalie quickly became friends with my family. David recently passed away. I miss seeing him sitting next to the store, selling his books and autographing every one of them.
My parents have really big hearts. One reminder of their big hearts is that big box under the counter. It contains about fifty “little charge books.” Some of those “charge books” have been in there for 40 years and haven’t been paid. I’m guessing, at this point, they never will be. My parents have given to many people over the years. They’ve kept many families fed. They’ll NEVER ask the people to pay those charge accounts!
My mother is the postmistress in Preston. Yes, we have our own zip code. Population around 200! The post office is located inside our store. My mom is the kind of postmistress that fills out your money orders for you, addresses your envelopes and opens the post office ,after it’s closed, for those that didn’t make it in time to get their mail. My dad is the same way with the store. I remember many times, when we had those gas pumps, people would come to our house in the middle of the night. Those loud knocks on the door would wake everybody up. My dad would go to the door and of course, someone had ran out of gas. He’d get dressed and open the store for them. He didn’t mind at all.
Things haven’t changed much in the store over the past decades. Those gas pumps are now gone. Several of the old whittlers have passed as well. My parents don’t carry as many grocery items as they used to. It’s mostly a “hobby” for my dad, and a daily hang out for the “loafers.” The “little charge books” are still in the same exact spot. I’m thinking, If I ever have to start operating the store myself, I’m going to get all that money that is owed to my parents. On second thought, I won’t either. I have a big heart just like my mom and dad. So, the next time you’re out and about, stop by Blevins Grocery. I just might be there. Maybe I can’t fill your tank with gas anymore but I can for sure slice you a “Preston Steak Sandwich.” Oh, and don’t forget to get a cold Ale 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment