Sunday, December 26, 2010

It's Christmas Time In The Country


My dad always cut our Christmas tree from the woods behind our house in the valley. When I was a little girl I loved going to cut down that tree. I sure hope the "tree huggers" don't come after us now! There were several years that we didn't have lights to go on our tree. We did, however, have some kind of contraption that made light effects on the tree. It was an electrical wheel that was shaped like a disc. As it turned, different colors of triangles would shine on the tree, making it look like the tree had different colors flashing on it. Oh, this reminds me of when we didn't have a colored television either. Mom put another "contraption" on the television. It was a paper-thin, colored plastic thing. She would place it on the T.V. screen, making it look like a colored television set. Well, it really didn't but we thought it did at the time.
The "spruce" smell from our Christmas tree would fill the air for weeks in our house. The needles from the tree would fill the bottoms of our feet for MONTHS! Sometimes we had cedar trees and pine trees as well. It just doesn't seem like Christmas without the smell of a "real" Christmas tree.
My mom used to take us Christmas shopping at Hobbs, Newberry's, Oldham's, Maloney's and Belk's. If you know these stores, you know my age.....and I know your's! They don't make stores like that anymore. If you remember Newberry's you'll remember the first thing that caught your attention when you walked in the door. Those roasted cashews! I can smell and taste them now. Those stores had a layaway department, giving my mom plenty of time to pay for our gifts. I don't think stores have a layaway department anymore. That's a shame because this helps struggling parents have enough time to get things for their children while making payments on those items. We didn't have as much as some kids but we had the best Christmases I can imagine. Probably due to the layaway plan.
My sister and I were never "materialistic." We're still not! Besides the things Santa brought me I remember a big stuffed, pink bear, most of all. I loved stuffed animals. They don't make those like they used to either. I can also remember baby dolls and Barbie dolls. We always had those under the Christmas tree. My sister and I would play with them for hours. My mom recently gave us our "most memorable" dolls. She saved them all those years. My doll's name is "Giggles." She would tilt her head from side to side and her eyes would roll around as she giggled. My granddaughter played with my doll the last time she came to visit. She put hair gel in it's hair. Giggles looks a little scary now!
When I turned 13 I wanted a BB gun for Christmas. Yep, a BB GUN! My mom wasn't about to get me a BB gun. I had one under the tree that Christmas morning. I'm guessing Santa read my letter because he brought me one. He even had bb's in my stocking. You won't believe this but my dad still has that VERY BB GUN that Santa brought me all those years ago.
I thought I had struck gold when I turned 14. A ten speed bicycle was under the tree! It did look funny - a "boys" ten speed bike with a "basket" on the handlebars. Just what I asked for! I'm not sure why I wanted a boys bicycle because it was much easier riding the girl's bike that my sister got. I think I wanted to be tough, like a boy!
Thanks to my mother, my sister and I had some wonderful Christmas mornings. She made sure of it! After opening our gifts, we would hurry to the kitchen for a big breakfast. My mom knew I loved peanut butter and syrup, heated up, and poured over hot biscuits. She always had that for me on Christmas morning. Not to mention that big piece of country ham on the plate as well!
We never had the most expensive things during those Christmases when we were growing up but we sure had the best! I'm thinking my daughter WILL NOT let me buy my granddaughter a BB gun when she turns 13 but maybe Santa will bring her one! May all your days be merry and bright- Just like my Country Christmas Tree was, way back when, before there were no lights!

No comments:

Post a Comment