Sunday, December 26, 2010

Knight In Shining Armour

        I love Cinderella and all the other princesses that had a prince to come rescue them.  Can you imagine what it must feel like, being swept into the arms of a prince, riding a white horse?  That must be where "someone" came up with the phrase "swept off your feet."  Well, that's what it reminds ME of.
        Watching movies that end with someone being "carried off," into paradise, are my favorite ones.  Chick flicks, I guess.  Those movies are the ones that moisten your eyes and wet your cheeks.  Sometimes that "salty liquid" falls to your lips.  I know it's salty because I've tasted it many times.
         While I was going through my second divorce I was also going through some mixed emotions.  I wasn't ready to jump into a serious relationship but, for some strange reason, my mind kept telling me I didn't want to die alone.  I have no clue why I was thinking about death.
         In that vision, I was in a hospital bed, looking around the room and seeing - well - NOBODY.  I couldn't even see my family.  I was looking around that hospital room for a man!  A man that loved me unconditionally and one that was supposed to be right there by my bedside.  I also wanted him to be holding my hand, telling me he loved me and that he would see me in heaven.
        Wow, what was I thinking?  Heck, my divorce wasn't even final. I was staying with my parents until I could find a place of my own.  My parents were thrilled their 43 year old daughter had come back home.  Oh, that could be a fib!  I'm sure they weren't jumping for joy but they let me stay anyway.
         One of those nights, while staying with my parents, my mom told me to put on some make-up and to fix my hair.  She said my friends, Muff and Nancy, had called to invite me to a cookout.  I told my mom I didn't want to go to the cookout, much less "put on my face" and wash my hair.  She then said, "Mike is going to be there."  My reply - "Mike who?"  Mom then gave me his last name.  I had known Mike for twenty some years or more.  We weren't close friends but I had been to his house, way back when.  My reply back to my mom - "So What, I don't want to see Mike."  She finally talked me in to going to the cookout.  I went but without make-up and without fixing my hair.
         I remember that night well.  I had on bibbed overalls and a tank top.  I walked to the back of the house where everyone was.  At first I saw my sister and her husband.  Muff was at the grill.  There was also some "strange" lady sitting in one of the chairs.  I didn't know her but I sit down next to her and introduced myself.  I then heard the kitchen door open.  I looked up to see Mike walking out.  He took a chair across from where I was sitting.  We greeted each other with "hello" and "long time, no see."  He had been divorced 3 years.  He had the hang of it!
        The hamburgers were ready so I stepped inside the house to get something to drink.  Nancy told me she was playing "cupid."  She had the strange lady there to meet Mike.  I was happy for him.  Really!  From what I knew of him, he deserved a good woman.  I didn't know if that strange lady was a good woman or not.  Quite frankly, I didn't care that much.  I liked Mike but I had never been attracted to him  We all ate and talked about old times.  Except for the strange lady.  She didn't have the "memories" with the rest of us.  She didn't look like she was having much fun but I wasn't having the greatest time myself.  I was ready to go back to my mom's and sleep!
       Before I left, I glanced up to say something to Mike.  The glow was just above his head.  With that glow came a flutter in my heart.  He looked like a totally different person to me at that very moment.  I was gazing into his eyes with a whole new perspective of what he looked like.  It was really weird!  The attraction hit me square between my eyes and in my heart.  Something, or someone, turned on a light for me to see him.  I swear the glow I saw above his head was a bright light.  Honest!
       Before the "cookout incident," my mom had been giving me some advice.  She told me not to "jump into" any new relationships, stop going to bars, and to just wait for someone to come and find me.  Find me in Preston?  I laughed and laughed at that one.  I certainly couldn't imagine anyone coming to Preston, much less coming to find ME.  Who was going to come out in the "bookdocks" to look for this country girl?
       I love being a princess.  Now I know how Cinderella must have felt.  I didn't get to ride off in a horse drawn carriage. Mike wasn't wearing armour either.  He did, however, drive me off in his shiny, red blazer.  We've been together 6 years now.  He makes me feel like a princess every day!  I'm glad I decided to go to the cookout that night.
       My heart still has a little flutter when I think about that light I saw above Mike's head.  Of course, those thoughts bring back the "salty liquid" to my lips.  They are not thoughts of sadness.  That liquid contains tears of joy!  Dreams CAN and DO come true.  Not only for me, but also for YOU.  Sometimes your "prince" is standing right under your nose.  Mine was!

1 comment: